Monday 30 August 2010

The One In Which We Prepare For Primary School

Littleboy1 starts primary school on Wednesday, and I tell you, he couldn't be more ready.

He has his little, newly-polished school shoes lined up in the hallway, placed next to his new Manchester United backpack, which contains his pencil case, folders and his juice bottle which will be filled with orange juice on Wednesday morning. There is a space in his bag for his matching Manchester United lunch-box, and I have all he needs in either the fridge (ham for his sandwiches), freezer (frozen yoghurts which will have melted by the time lunchtime arrives) or cupboards (biscuits, jam).

I'm really confident about this. Most parents will be nervous, worried, thinking 'how will s/he do away from home for 6 whole hours?', seeing as though nursery is only a 3-hour thing, but I think he'll be fine. He doesn't seem the sort that would suddenly break down, the sort that is frail about these things. Knowing him, he'll actually want to stay come home-time, and not race out of the doors, arms wide, ready to embrace me.

The other day, when Littleboy1 was playing with his Lego pieces and making a random, non-colour-coordinated castle, I went to ask him how he was feeling about being away from home for so long.

"I don't care," he said simply and plaintively, clearly wanting me to clear off and let him build his castle in peace.

"That's good," I replied.

"Yes. Good. Bye Mummy."

Charming.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Awww, bless him. I bet you'll be in bits on his first day won't you? Don't worry, he sounds like he'll be fine x

Jen Walshaw said...

Mini starts on Monay - he is fine and I am trying to follow his lead - urm easier said than done!