Wednesday 1 September 2010

The One In Which Littleboy1 Starts School

Well, he did it. He did it. All by himself, he did it. My little boy started big school.

He loved nursery. It was only for half a day, and so he'd come home for lunch and play in the afternoon after a morning of playing and learning and having fun in nursery.

This morning, I woke Littleboy1 up at 7am. For nursery, it would be 8, as there wouldn't be much preparation - all I'd need to do was dress him and then I'd just take him, but today I had to do lots more. I woke him up, and after about 10 minutes of arguing, he finally gave in and went downstairs for his breakfast. Although he kept insisting on pancakes, I finally persuaded him to have the coco pops I'd placed in front of him on the table.
"Mummy, I'm scared," he said as I helped him with his tie and helped him fasten his shoes (he didn't quite get the hang of Velcro).
"Why? You've been excited all week."
"I'm scared now Mummy!"
I sighed. Oh, no. This was the part I was dreading. I knew his great feelings were too good to be true - should have expected it.
"Don't be, darling," I said. "You just feel nervous. It's just like nursery, but with a bit more learning and a little longer. Your friends will be there!"
Littleboy1's face lit up. I think he honestly thought he'd be either all alone, or thrown into a classroom full of strangers who'd possibly (I don't really know what goes on in that imaginative mind) be pelting him with rock-hard crayons and sharp pencils.
"My friends?"
"Yes, your friends."
He suddenly leaped in the air and sung (what I think was) the Teletubbies theme tune while finding his backpack and practically yanking the front door off it's hinges. At least I now know that if I ever want him to do something he won't do, I only have to utter the word 'friends'. Bonus!

The day was quite a bore. I didn't have Littleboy1 or Hubby around to help me tend to Littleboy2's every needs. Sure, he's my responsibility, but I just wanted a break. He cries every minute, and his cot is upstairs, while my television fix is downstairs. That, my friends, means I have to run upstairs, on average, 60 times per hour, and so about 360 times before I had to gather my car keys (and my screaming baby) to pick Littleboy1 up from his first day.

When I got to the school, the bell rung. I was just in time - that's good. He won't be coming out of the doors to find nobody but strangers - I'd be there, as well as the huge pram. He'll recognise me, I think to myself.
The doors open (right on time - I had my watch with me) and piles of kids flood out onto the already almost full playground, making the whole place a sea of laughing and chatting kids and parents.
"Mummy!" Littleboy1 shouts as he races towards me at high speed.
I open my arms and embrace him as he flies into my arms, backpack in one hand, some sort of macaroni creation in the other.
"What's this, then?" I asked as I juggled his new reading folder and spelling record.
"Pasta art," he said, adding this creation to my collection of random things in my arms.
"It's lovely," I said, truthfully. It was certainly something - a skew-whiff attempt at a cardboard box, with random drawings scrawled onto it with permanent marker in a variety of colours, with various pasta types stuck onto it with both Pritt-stick and Sellotape. If I'm right, it contains macaroni, short straw-looking pieces of spaghetti and a bit of penne. Beautiful!

Seriously, I do love it. I love it so much it is on my window ledge as I write, and I keep looking at it (mainly for the fact I'm trying to figure out what it is...) - it is certainly wonderful.

And I promise I won't eat it. No matter how hungry I am.



2 comments:

Connie said...

Sounds like a great day!

I'm nervous about mine starting school and it's still a year away!

Mancunian Mum said...

Oh, believe me, it was!

And so was I, before he was even born I was like "oh, God, school... yikes!" but don't worry, it's great :)