Thursday 5 August 2010

The One In Which I Consider a Dog

I’ve always wanted a pet. Ever since I was yay-high I wanted a dog, a cat, a hamster, a tortoise, anything. But my parents were quite strict. My dad had allergies, so I couldn’t have a cat or a dog. My mum hated rodents, so I couldn’t have a guinea pig or a hamster. That only left a few options, and my parents didn’t like them, so I couldn’t even have a budgie or a parrot.
Since I never had the chance, I forgot all about having one when I moved in with Hubby, and had my Littleboys.
But today, those memories came back with just one question from Littleboy1’s lips.
“Mummy, can we have a pet?”
It all flooded back to me. The protests, the pleas, the tears, the shouts, and the sneezes.
I had to think about it for a moment. What if I didn’t want one anymore? I’d been so hopeful all those years, and what if it wasn’t meant to be? But I didn’t want to deprive Littleboy1 of a pet, not after what I went through.
“What kind of pet?” I asked, hoping a sensible answer would follow.
“A dog!”
I mentally wiped my brow and smiled. I said yes without thinking. Hubby was still at work - he didn’t have allergies, did he? He didn’t show any signs during hay-fever seasons, and when he saw dogs in the street he’d grin and cuddle them, however big, small or furry they were.
Littleboy1 happily started to dance around the kitchen, singing a song from one of his Cbeebies programmes.
Oh, great. Now I have to get him a dog.

2 comments:

Jean said...

A dog! Fabulous! If you are seriously considering a dog, perhaps you could have a look at rescued greyhounds. There are so many of these lovely dogs looking for homes, and they are very gentle, placid, quiet dogs and contrary to what you might think need very little exercise.

We've had our lovely Tessie for a year now, she's a retired racing greyhound and she's great.

You can have a look online at the Retired Greyhound Trust's websites. But whatever dog you choose, good luck!

Mancunian Mum said...

That sounds great! My auntie has a greyhound and is forever bringing it over to play with Littleboy1 - probably why he wants one! I'll have a look on the website and report back.