Friday 23 July 2010

The One In Which I Embarrass Myself In A Coffee Shop

I write to you now in a coffee shop (Starbucks to be precise). I only came here because a) I wanted to get away from the Littleboys for a bit of peace by dropping them off at their Grandma’s and b) I needed a drink, as I was gasping.

I don’t know if I’ll ever want to show my face in this Starbucks ever again though, as I kind of embarrassed myself in the queue.
It wasn’t my fault. It was the staff’s - they didn’t feel it was necessary to place a ‘Wet Floor’ sign on the ground. Don’t ask me why.
The person in front of me left with his Tall Latte and as I moved forward, purse in hand, my feet just suddenly gave way above the wet circumstance, and I found myself crashing to the ground in a whirl of both embarrassment and slight pain (I think my huge - but obviously necessary - bag broke my fall).
I must say, nobody was thrusting themselves forward to come to my rescue, which I found even more embarrassing and rude. One man was staring at me, making no attempt to get up from his comfy seat, putting his Americano at stake.
When I managed to get up (by myself - no hands were offered), I tried to act like nothing happened.
I heard a few sniggers coming from behind me, but shook them off (much like the dust I’d gathered on my shorts).
I just nonchalantly ordered my drink and when I’d paid, turned around.
“Be careful now,” the Starbucks man said, and I actually heard a slight dance in his tone.
I ought to sue.

5 comments:

Very Bored in Catalunya said...

You should write a letter of complaint to the head office. Should be worth a few vouchers if nothing else. There should have been a sign up saying 'wet floor'. x

TheOnlineStylist said...

Ouch.. you poor thing. I hate that sort of thing - I try and gather myself instantly but then spend the next half hour blushing furiously every time I relive it! xxx

Metropolitan Mum said...

Definitely a letter of complaint. Might ease the pain of embarrassment a little. And you could use the vouchers in whatever Starbucks you like :)

Mancunian Mum said...

VBiC - Yeah, that's what I'll do :) x

FortyNotOut - I know, I was blushing like mad when I got up. The giggles rang in my ears and I just wished the ground would swallow me whole! xxx

MM - Yeah. Ooh, that sounds promising, hopefully next time there will be a full use of safety signs in order! :)

Jean said...

Have you written to complain yet? I would, definitely. Let us know how you get on.